I Heart TV

I love TV. You love TV. I love to read about TV. Hopefully, so do you.

10.06.2005

shows i have abandoned

To recap mostly for myself, as the fall season started I had plans to watch (or at least check out) the following shows:

Sunday: The War at Home, Family Guy
Monday: How I Met Your Mother/Kitchen Confidential, Prison Break
Tuesday: Biggest Loser, My Name is Earl/Amazing Race
Wednesday: America's Next Top Model, Veronica Mars/Lost
Thursday: Survivor/The OC, Everwood/Reunion
Friday: Twins?
Saturday: ?

The War at Home turned out to suck, with the only bright spot being the son who everyone thinks is gay dressing up like his mom in order to steal the car and then forgetting to take off the women's clothing while driving by the hot girls in his class, so that's out. I've been watching Family Guy, but this past week was already a repeat! It's what, the third week of the season?

So far I am still liking How I Met Your Mother. I think it's the most realistic sitcom about a group of friends that I've seen in years (since Friends, which was not at all realistic on the whole but somewhat so in the way the friends related to each other.) There are no weak links in the cast, but I will admit right now that it's Neil Patrick Harris who makes me want to watch each week. I don't know if it's just that "holy shit, Doogie's doing what?" feeling that I like, but he is surprisingly hilarious, especially after re-watching season 1 of Doogie recently. The one thing that annoys me about this show is the main character's future kids. I think they could have Bob Saget just narrate the whole thing without those little scenes and it would still work.

I liked Prison Break from the start, but only in an "ehh, it's decent and everybody else is watching it" kind of way. Then, last week, with the prison riot, it suddenly got super suspenseful and I actually started to care--not about Lincoln, the character set to die, who defines the term "big lug," but about the other characters. I will actually miss this show during the baseball hiatus.

My other roommate (the non-TV-loving one) changed the channel during the premiere of the Biggest Loser, and just like that, I stopped caring about it. Sure, I could have downloaded the episode, and then I thought to myself, am I really going to go to all that trouble just to watch anonymous (i.e. non-celebrity) fat people lose weight? Besides, I get my reality fill on Tuesdays with The Amazing Race, though the Paolo family reminds me too much of my own and I sort of hope they get kicked off soon. My early pick to win, the Black family, got kicked off at the end of the first episode, so I've got no hunches now.

And My Name is Earl really was great, much quirkier than the average sitcom (and quirky in the real way, not quirky as a synonym for obnoxious), but to watch it, we have to tape it on the other TV, and I'm just not into the effort, especially for a sitcom.

More on the other days of the week later. Back to work.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    i think i will probably watch Earl once amazing race is over.

    i could never get into alias. one of my friends is really into it, and she brought over the first two episodes one day last year, but i think it was too much action for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home