I Heart TV

I love TV. You love TV. I love to read about TV. Hopefully, so do you.

9.22.2005

i can't even believe i'm keeping up with the new shows

I keep hearing that this is the year that will be the turnaround for sitcoms, that good shows have arrived to rescue us from crap. Having seen five new fall sitcoms now, I'm almost starting to believe it. Of the five I've seen, I've only thought one (The War at Home) was bad, and it wasn't even monstrously bad, just average bad. Everybody Hates Chris, How I Met Your Mother, Kitchen Confidential, and now My Name is Earl are all shows that I would recommend to a friend. I'd even be watching all four if not for multiple time conflicts.

Last night I watched the premiere of My Name is Earl (on tivo), and the first thing I thought was, damn, Ethan Suplee's lost a lot of weight. Suplee (Boy Meets World, The Butterfly Effect) was almost unrecognizable as the brother of Earl, played by Jason Lee. Still fat, but not as fat. Anyway, I laughed! (I love how sitcoms have become so bad that I feel the need to note it with an exclamation point whenever I laugh at a show.) Jason Lee is what made the show for me, as he still manages to be appealing even with that horrible moustache. And I like seeing characters on sitcoms who aren't rich or even middle class (I'm betting Earl is going to blow through that $100,000 he won mighty quickly.)

I also watched the premiere of America's Next Top Modellast night. I realize we're only starting the fifth season, but I like how ANTM never gets old, unlike, say, Real World. Maybe it's because there are challenges, and not much drinking/partying. The first model kicked out was Ashley, who seemed like a bitch and wouldn't help poor, lesbian Kim with her makeup. Kim's already one of my favorites, because I always like the smart one, but I don't think she'll win. At this very early stage, I'm tentatively picking Nik to win. I'll probably change my mind next week though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home