I Heart TV

I love TV. You love TV. I love to read about TV. Hopefully, so do you.

9.21.2005

i continue to watch more new shows

I think I'll try and update every time I see three new shows.

My Fair Brady
I really wanted to like this show, which showcases Adrianne Curry of America's Next Top Model and Christopher Knight of the Brady Bunch as they explore the love they found on Surreal Life. I don't watch SL, but after recently watching the first season of ANTM on DVD I grew to love Adrianne, despite her heavy Chicago accent and her tendency to not open her mouth when she talks. Also despite her wearing a choker for most of the season. And when I read about her allegations that she never really received the promised prizeshere, I grew even more curious to see how she was dealing with life as a continuing reality show star.

Plus Peter was always my favorite Brady.

Unfortunately, My Fair Brady is not nearly as compelling as the model competitions (though slightly more compelling than the Brady Bunch. Except for that Hawaiian episode. Or the one where they all get the mumps.) Like many other couples, Chris and Adrianne fight about her dependence on him, living together, getting married, household chores, etc. Adrianne burps a lot, and sometimes she spanks Chris. She looks even more beautiful now, but it's still not enough to keep my interest. They're just too normal, which is good for them but bad for the show. I'd watch it at the gym though.

Kitchen Confidential
I had high hopes for this one as well. KC is based on the life of chef Anthony Bourdain, who was something of a "bad boy." It stars Bradley Cooper, who is unbelievably hot and who used to be on Alias, as well as a lot of other people (Nicholas Brendon, John Francis Daley, Bonnie Somerville, Andrea Parker, Bitty Schram) who used to be on a lot of other shows (Buffy, Freaks and Geeks, NYPD Blue/The OC, The Pretender, Monk.) There were a few great parts (the end, when Jack asks Stephen if he's high, for example) but nothing clicked for me. It was definitely funny, but like I said in my short review of How I Met Your Mother (which is on against KC), I need some emotional connection for a sitcom to draw me in from week to week and earn a spot on the tivo. It was the first episode, though, and I will maybe check in again in a month or two, but How I Met Your Mother is what I'll be watching regularly.

Though, I should note that I watched this with my friend Dora, a veteran of many restaurant jobs and a fan of the book, and she really liked it and said it was dead-on accurate.

Bones
Way too much time is spent on this show with holographs in the lab. I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but at the same time I couldn't remember this morning if they had ever explained why the killer did what he did. I mean, they must have, but it can't be a good sign if I don't remember it. Emily Deschanel looks way better than she did in Boogeyman, though (to me she looked really old in that movie), and I liked David Boreanaz. I can't see myself watching it every week, but I think it could improve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home