I Heart TV

I love TV. You love TV. I love to read about TV. Hopefully, so do you.

9.18.2005

how i met your mother: possibly good!

I just watched a preview DVD of How I Met Your Mother, the new show on CBS (Mondays at 8:30) starring Alyson Hannigan and Neil Patrick Harris, and it was actually good! It's been years since I liked a new sitcom, but this one made me laugh several times. Most shows that try to portray a group of friends in their 20s seem totally unrealistic (like, say, Friends), but HIMYM came pretty close. The show is told in flashbacks as the main character tells his children how he met their mother. Hannigan, Harris, and Jason Segel of Freaks & Geeks play his friends. Josh Radnor, who plays the main character, was totally sympathetic and lovable, and, thanks especially to a slight twist at the end, I really want to know what happens next. That, I think, is the key these days to a successful sitcom--having a somewhat serialized story.

So, I highly recommend it.

Today I also watched the season finale of Kill Reality, and was appalled. Totally appalled. Jonny Fairplay took a shit on Trish from the Bachelor's bed. How do you do that? What motivates you to do that? How do you take a shit on someone's bed WHILE THEY ARE SLEEPING IN IT? On television? Fucked up!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:40 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    that's what sucks about tivo--we're going to have to tape kitchen c. on my roommate's other tv.

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    I've thought about it, but I think that would be a problem in terms of attaching the satellite (that's DirecTV that you do that with, right?) I'm moving in February and I may end up in a Time Warner neighborhood, in which case I can get their DVR and I could just sell the Tivo.

     
  • At 2:15 AM, Blogger Marc said…

    I liked Doogie, but that was about it with this show. Jason Segel seemed very underused, as did Allyson Hannigan. Is there too much of an ensemble to this show? The cab driver was a bit much. If it gets better, let me know.

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger Erica said…

    I'm curious to see if the main guy (I can't remember his name) will continue to take up most of the episodes or if the balance will shift a little. I could take more Jason Segal--I love him!

    It's getting Season Passed, so I'll give you an update.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home