I Heart TV

I love TV. You love TV. I love to read about TV. Hopefully, so do you.

10.24.2005

oh now I get it

This is the first season that I've watched The Amazing Race devotedly, and according to most of the internet I picked a bad season for it. This is the family season, with teams of four instead of two. While it's not heart-stopping excitement (or even as exciting as two episodes ago on Survivor when Blake was surprisingly voted off after talking only about his best drunk stories and his girlfriend's humongous breasts), I've been enjoying it. I was even excited to talk to my mom about it, since she and my sister are longtime fans. But my mom offered an "Ugh!" in response, and echoed the common complaint that it's supposed to be "a race around the world" and that this season is just boring.

Reading the recap of last week's episode on Television Without Pity this morning, I finally understood what all the criticism is about. Miss Alli, the TWOP recapper, was talking about a clue in which teams had to drive in their SUVs to a BP station in Mississippi, find a man named Les, and get their next clue from him. It wasn't terribly interesting to watch, although one team, the Godlewski sisters, did initially miss the station. She says:

When you think about the fact that this is this season's version of finding a guy named Pablo in Mexico City without any indication of who he is or where he is other than a picture of a building, you will weep openly. Because now Mexico City is Richfield, Mississippi, and Zocalo Square is a BP station, and locals are Slim Jims, and Pablo is Les, and the picture is an address, a named location, and a mallet to hit yourself with in case you need additional help.


That quote helped me understand a little bit better just why so many people find this season lacking.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This season of TAR is the most boring ever. I can't wait until this special "family" edition is over and they get back to the good stuff. The exotic foreign locales are a huge part of the appeal of the show and this season isn't cutting it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home