I Heart TV

I love TV. You love TV. I love to read about TV. Hopefully, so do you.

7.29.2005

NUMB ARM! NUMB ARM! NARM!

On this week's Family Guy, a worm in Brian's stomach made a joke about Six Feet Under, saying something like "I've only been alive for six weeks, and I've never been outside this dog's stomach, but I still know that Six Feet Under is pretentious."

My boyfriend and I re-watched that FG episode last night, and then watched this week's 6FU. At the start of the episode, my boyfriend asked if I thought that 6FU was pretentious, so I tried to explain what's been bothering me about this season's episodes.

I've never been a huge 6FU fan. I didn't have HBO for the first two seasons, but sometime between the second and third seasons my roommate Andy borrowed some tapes from a friend and got hooked, and when one person in our house becomes obsessed with a show it tends to spread. So now I have seen every episode in seasons 3, 4, and 5 (so far), maybe about half of season 2, and maybe one or two episodes in season 1. I've always liked it, but somewhere along the way (like the start of this season), it became less something I looked forward to every week and more of an obligation. Like, well, I've watched this show for awhile now, and I want to know what happens. But I don't enjoy sitting down and watching each episode as much as I used to.

I found out about Nate's collapse before I had a chance to see the episode, and it didn't affect me much. Part of that comes from knowing beforehand, and part of it likely comes from not seeing all of the original "Nate has brain disease" episodes. But part of it also comes from my dissatisfaction with this season. I'm losing hope for these characters. I'm seeing how they act, and I hate it. I hate seeing them fuck up their lives week after week. This mostly applies to Nate and Brenda.

I'll still be watching, of course. But I won't be as sad when it ends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home