I Heart TV

I love TV. You love TV. I love to read about TV. Hopefully, so do you.

6.20.2005

what's so great about the inside?

A while ago, I saw the new remake of Amityville Horror and it scared me to death. No matter that it got mixed and even atrocious reviews--I was terrified. So, when I read that one of Fox's newest dramas, The Inside, featured Rachel Nichols, Amityville's bad babysitter, I made a mental note to check it out. Although it premiered two weeks ago, last night my roommate Allison and I finally found the time to sit down and watch it.

I wasn't impressed. Tvgasm, one of my daily reads, recommended it so highly (and steered me so right with their recommendation of Beauty and the Geek) that I was expecting better. That's not to say that The Inside is bad--it's not. It's original, which is quite a feat considering the glut of crime shows out there. Each twist of the case in the first episode, which features a murderer who slices women's faces off (with surprisingly subtle grossness), surprised me. The tone is subtle--no dun dun DUN moments.

The real problem is the characters. We have the gruff and mysterious boss. The team member who also wants to be a friend. The one who is distrustful. The one who doesn't have many lines (the woman, of course.) And in the center of it all, the woman with a gift for crime-solving due most likely to a deep, dark secret.

Haven't we seen it before? Silence of the Lambs. Medium. Profiler (a great show that never got enough attention.

Jonathan V. Last at the Daily Standard tells the story of The Inside's evolution here. Apparently, the original premise featured Nichols as an agent undercover at a high school, and I think the promise of inventive, emotional interaction would have been stronger there.

The Inside might improve, though it'll have to struggle against its premise to do so. Unfortunately, I won't be there to see it happen. The Inside is currently up against Veronica Mars and Lost, and this first episode wasn't enough to shake my loyalty to either show (as if anything could shake my loyalty to Veroncia Mars.) Did anyone else watch it? What did you guys think?

1 Comments:

  • At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Watching it just made me want to finally watch The Silence of the Lambs (which I have never seen and which has been sitting on my netflix for months).

    Profiler was a good show. It was being rerun on A&E for a while, I think.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home