I Heart TV

I love TV. You love TV. I love to read about TV. Hopefully, so do you.

6.21.2005

the real world: making cool cities uncool

The Real World/Road Rules Blog pointed me to this article in yesterday's New York Times about the new season of The Real World that premieres June 21 and takes place in Austin, Texas. Real World ruler Jon Murray talks about the city selection process and posits The Real World as not only an arbiter of cool but as a cool-ing force, bringing tourism (and other kinds of) dollars to the cities it inhabits.

Is this really true? Of course, I live in a Real World city, but I don't think New York really needed the help. Are there people out there watching MTV and saying "oh gee wow, Philadelphia looks like so much FUN! all the drinking! the sexual confusion! the lackluster efforts at working or being real adults! now that's where I'm going on my next vacation!"

I guess any publicity is good publicity, right?

3 Comments:

  • At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The funniest discussion I ever had about Real World: Philly was with Erica over Christmas last winter while watching one of the girls dirty dance on top of a bar. "Oh please, like that really happens," I said. And then she said sometimes it really does.

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    i think the thing is that real world people inhabit a world we don't, a world of excessive, EXCESSIVE drinking.

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Norman Rose said…

    hey! i drink a lot!

    in dirtier bars. much dirtier bars. and i don't know people that pretty and that contentious with each otgher. and lazy, not as lazy.

    but yeah, the real world does bring exposure to cities people don't think of, like philly, austin, even vegas, when they are considering places to live...

    but probably not for anyone we know, really.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home